Other Events Also Scheduled during National Salvation Army Week
St. Louis, Mo. – St. Louisans will see numerous St. Louis area landmarks lit up in red during the week of May 9-15. The 63rd annual National Salvation Army Week is typically observed during the second week of May and was first declared by President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1954. The Salvation Army recognizes the 3.5 million volunteers who give their time and talents to The Salvation Army each year and help us in “Doing The Most Good” for those in need every year!
Numerous St. Louis landmarks will be lit in red to celebrate National Salvation Army Week including:
· St. Louis City Courts Building (May 10-15)
· Lumiere Place Casino and Hotels (May 14, 15)
· Mercedes Benz of St. Louis
· Saint Louis Science Center’s James S. McDonnell Planetarium (May 9)
· The Laclede Group building
· Gallery 720 Olive
· Salvation Army buildings throughout the St. Louis region
Also, in celebration of this week, an open house and tours of our housing facilities will take place May 9-13 from 2 p.m.-4 p.m.:
· May 9- Midtown Development 3010 Apartments (3010 Washington Boulevard 63103) and Veteran’s Residence Low income housing and Veterans’ residence
· May 10- Family Haven (10740 Page Avenue 63132) Transitional shelter for families
· May 11- Booth Manor (3131 Iowa 63132) Senior Housing
· May 12- O’Fallon Corps and Shelter (1 William Booth Drive, O’Fallon, MO 63366) Shelter and Community Center
· May 13- Railton Apartments (205 N. 18th Street 63103) Low income housing
Building tours are open to the media, donors and the general public. Travelers at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport will notice counter kettles at the airport where they can make monetary donations to The Salvation Army. Families can celebrate Salvation Army Day at Six Flags St. Louis May 14.
The Salvation Army Midland Division will also offer 50 Summer Fun Packs for $150. This package includes 4 St. Louis Cardinals tickets to a game of their choice, 4 Wehrenberg Theatres movie passes, and 4 Raging Rivers passes. The pack is valued at over $300. The pack can be purchased by going online to: http://stlsalvationarmy.org/nsaw/
To learn more about the National Salvation Army Week and local events, go to our website at: http://stlsalvationarmy.org/
About The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army, an evangelical part of the universal Christian church established in London in 1865, has been supporting those in need in His name without discrimination for 130 years in the United States. Nearly 30 million Americans receive assistance from The Salvation Army each year through the broadest array of social services that range from providing food for the hungry, relief for disaster victims, assistance for the disabled, outreach to the elderly and ill, clothing and shelter to the homeless and opportunities for underprivileged children. 82 cents of every dollar The Salvation Army spends is used to support those services in 5,000 communities nationwide. For more information, go to www.salvationarmyusa.org.